Srinagar (Jammu and Kashmir), July 6 (ANI): Considered as a men’s game, rugby is getting popular among the girls in the Kashmir valley after several young women were seen playing the sport at the Bakshi Stadium in Srinagar. Female rugby was introduced in the valley in 2004 and since then many enthusiastic young women have come out from the region to participate in the sport. While talking to ANI, Coach Irtika Ayoub urged all the girls in the valley to join the sport and break the stereotype of girls being engaged only with household activities. She added that, when she had set up a training camp at a local college in Srinagar, then in the very first day 70 girls enrolled themselves. The players in the stadium believe that rugby has made their life organised as they need to be disciplined and live their lives in a healthy manner. Meanwhile, Rubgy player Shabeena believes that, girls need to join rugby because it is a great sport for fitness and also a career can be made out of it.
- Breaking stereotype! Rugby gains popularity among girls in Kashmir
- Dalai Lama turns 82, Tibetans across India celebrate his birthday
- IAF’s MiG-23 aircraft crashes, pilots safe
- Heavy rains cripple life in Gorakhpur
- ‘Birthday boy’ Ranveer takes rumoured girlfriend Deepika on a drive in his new swanky car