The mayor and police chief of Charlotte, North Carolina say witnesses must be questioned before the video of the fatal police shooting of a black man can be released. Rough Cut (no reporter narration).
Charlotte officials say timing is critical for release of video of police shooting
ROUGH CUT (NO REPORTER NARRATION).
STORY: Officials in Charlotte, North Carolina on Friday (September 23) promised transparency in the investigation of the fatal police shooting of a black man earlier this week, but said they cannot yet release the video of the shooting.
Relatives of 43-year-old Keith Scott saw the videos Thursday and called for their release, but Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Chief Kerr Putney said premature release of the videos could further inflame tensions in the city.
Protesters have marched through the streets of city every night since he was killed on Tuesday. During the demonstrations, one person has been killed and more than a dozen police officers have been injured.
Charlotte Mayor Jennifer Roberts also said that the video can’t be released until detectives have finished questioning witnesses, whose testimony could be influenced by what they see or hear.
Scott’s death is the latest to stir passions in the United States over the police use of force against black men. It has stirred broad debate on race and justice in the United States and given rise to the Black Lives Matter movement.
He was the 214th black person killed by U.S. police this year out of an overall total of 821, according to Mapping Police Violence, another group created out of the protest movement. There is no national-level government data on police shootings.