Cibulkova beats Kuznetsova to reach Wuhan final
RESENDING WITH SCRIPT AND SHOTLIST
SHOWS: WUHAN, CHINA (SEPTEMBER 30, 2016) (WTA TOUR/IEC – SEE RESTRICTIONS)
SVETLANA KUZNETSOVA (LIGHT BLUE TOP) AND DOMINIKA CIBULKOVA (DARK BLUE DRESS)
1. SVETLANA KUZNETSOVA (ON LEFT) AND DOMINIKA CIBULKOVA POSING FOR PHOTOGRAPH AT THE NET
2. FIRST SET – CIBULKOVA SERVES, KUZNETSOVA WINS RALLY WITH RUNNING ANGLED FOREHAND PASS
3. SECOND SET – CIBULKOVA SERVES, WINS RALLY WITH FOREHAND APPROACH SHOT
4. THIRD SET – KUZNETSOVA SERVES, CIBULKOVA WINS RALLY WITH FOREHAND CROSSCOURT PASS
5. THIRD SET – KUZNETSOVA SERVES, CIBULKOVA WINS RALLY AS NETS BACKHAND HALF VOLLEY
6. THIRD SET – KUZNETSOVA SERVES, KUZNETSOVA HITS BACKHAND WIDE, CIBULKOVA FALLS TO THE GROUND AS SHE WINS MATCH/PLAYERS SHAKE HANDS AT THE NET
7. CIBULKOVA CELEBRATE AND WAVES TO CROWD
STORY: Dominika Cibulkova of Slovakia came back from a set down against Svetlana Kuznetsova to reach the final of the Wuhan Open on Friday (September 30).
Cibulkova, who was forced to play both her last 16 and quarter-final matches on Thursday (September 29) because of rain, overcame the Russian 3-6, 6-3, 6-4.
The Slovakian will meet Petra Kvitova in Saturday’s (October 1) final after the Czech defeated Simona Halep in straight sets in the other semi-final.
Kuznetsova comfortably took the first set but Cibulkova fought back to win the second and force the decider.
In the tenth game, Cibulkova broke Kuznetsova’s serve to secure the victory.
The result guarantees the Slovakian a return to the top 10 and boosts her chances of reaching the WTA Finals in Singapore for the first time.