Gallipoli 100th anniversary

Sharing is Caring

ROUGH CUT – NO REPORTER NARRATION Thousands of people from Australia, New Zealand and Turkey gathered on Saturday (april 25) on the shores of Gallipoli for dawn services commemorating the 100th

Gallipoli 100th anniversary

ROUGH CUT – NO REPORTER NARRATION

Thousands of people from Australia, New Zealand and Turkey gathered on Saturday (april 25) on the shores of Gallipoli for dawn services commemorating the 100th anniversary of one of the bloodiest battles of World War One.

The campaign on Turkey’s Gallipoli peninsula has resonated through generations, which have mourned thousands of soldiers from the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps (ANZAC) cut down by machine-gun and artillery fire as they struggled ashore on a narrow beach.

The fighting would eventually claim more than 130,000 lives, 87,000 of them on the Ottoman side.

Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott attended the ceremony with his New Zealand counterpart.

He said the first ANZACs had been tradesmen, clerks, labourers, farmers and professionals from every conceivable occupation, from every rung in the ladder of society.

“But ordinary men did extraordinary things. They lived with death and dined with disease because that was where their duty lay. In volunteering to serve, they became more than soldiers, they became the founding heroes of modern Australia,” he told the crowd.

Gallipoli was the first time that soldiers from Australia and New Zealand fought under their own flags and is seared in the national consciousness as a point where their nations came of age, emerging from the shadow of the British empire.

Tags : anniversary, 100th, Gallipoli

Related Videos :

You may also like...

Leave a Reply