As the rebel slave who defied his captors, Kunta Kinte, immortalised in print and on screen in “Roots”, put The Gambia on the map for historical tourism. But the island where he and other west Africans faced the horrors of being chained, branded and separated before leaving their homeland forever, is under threat from sea erosion and neglect.
- Next story Rashford scores winner but Man United suffer Ibrahimovic blow
- Previous story Eyewitness to Paris shooting describes hiding in shop
- Flood warning issued across Assam as Brahmaputra River level rises
- Doctor arrested for allegedly raping a minor patient
- I am proud of doing ‘Newton’: Rajkummar Rao on his Dadasaheb Phalke Award for Outstanding Performance
- Watch: Artists make rangoli to celebrate ordinance to amend POCSO act
- Valverde praises Barcelona team performance after dominant win