North Carolina Governor Pat McCrory says the release of police video of the fatal shooting of a black man by police in Charlotte must be balanced with the needs of the investigation to be fair and transparent. Rough Cut (no reporter narration).
Governor: investigation into police shooting must be fair
ROUGH CUT (NO REPORTER NARRATION).
Story: North Carolina Governor Pat McCrory said on Friday (September 23) that state investigators are making swift progress in their investigation into this week’s fatal shooting of a black man by a Charlotte police officer, but he avoided saying when a video of the shooting could be released. McCrory said the needs of the investigation must be balanced with the public’s need to see the information. Relatives of 43-year-old Keith Scott have already been allowed to watch police video of Tuesday’s shooting, but officials have not yet released it to the public. In a news briefing earlier on Friday, Charlotte officials said they feared the video would further inflame tensions in the city, which has been racked by sometimes-violent protests since Scott’s death.
Scott’s family has called for the video to be released, and have released a cellphone video that one of Scott’s relatives took of the incident. However, the cellphone video doesn’t show the actual shooting.
Scott’s death is the latest to stir passions in the United States over the police use of force against black men. It has stirred broad debate on race and justice in the United States and given rise to the Black Lives Matter movement.
He was the 214th black person killed by U.S. police this year out of an overall total of 821, according to Mapping Police Violence, another group created out of the protest movement. There is no national-level government data on police shootings.