Poonch (J&K) Jan 12 (ANI): The birth anniversary celebrations of the tenth Guru of the Sikhs, Guru Gobind Singh began with great pomp and show in Jammu and Kahsmir’s Poonch. More than 10,000 people participated in the Nagar Kirtan with the message of brotherhood and communal harmony. ‘Gatka’, a traditional martial art form is historically associated with the Sikh gurus and is popular among the masses, was also performed in the celebratory procession. It is believed to have originated when sixth Sikh guru Hargobind adopted ‘Kirpan’ for self defense during Mughal era and tenth Guru Gobind Singh made it compulsory for everyone to use the weapons for self defense.
- Guru Gobind Singh jayanti celebrations begin in Poonch
- Disaster management awareness programme underway in J&K’s Poonch
- SP-BSP alliance: Party workers celebrate the tie-up
- SP-BSP alliance: Both parties to contest on 38 seats each in UP
- SP-BSP alliance will leave PM Modi & Amit Shah sleepless: Mayawati