Congress leader Ahmed Patel is returning to the Rajya Sabha from Gujarat for a fifth term, winning the third seat today in a bitterly fought election that became a massive prestige battle between the Congress and the BJP. The other two seats have been won easily by BJP chief Amit Shah, who makes his debut in Parliament, and union minister Smriti Irani. For the Congress, snatching the Ahmed Patel win from a BJP determined to prevent it is the biggest boost it has had in a long time.
- High Scale Drama But Congress’ Ahmed Patel Scrapes Through
- Ahmed Patel retains Rajya Sabha seat from Gujarat
- Bihar Minister calls mediapersons ‘Pakistani’ for not raising hands on ‘Bharat Mata Ki Jai’
- Donald Trump warns of ‘fire and fury’ against North Korea’s threats
- Will move court against EC’s decision: Vijay Rupani on RS poll results