A second site is being investigated after a blast which injured at least 29 people in the Chelsea neighbourhood of New York City. Rough cut (no reporter narration).
NY blast: security forces check second site
ROUGH CUT – NO REPORTER NARRATION
An explosion rocked the Chelsea neighbourhood of Manhattan on Saturday night, injuring at least 29 people, authorities said, adding that they are investigating the blast as a criminal act not immediately linked to any terror organization.
A law enforcement source said an initial investigation suggested the explosion occurred in a dumpster but the cause was still undetermined.
The head of the New York Police Department’s special operations division said on Twitter that a “possible secondary device has been located” in the same general area.
Mayor Bill de Blasio said early indications were that blast was intentional but added there was no evidence so far that it was linked to terrorism.
He said the site of the explosion, outside on a major thoroughfare of a fashionable enclave in one of the most bustling areas of New York City, was being treated as a crime scene.
The Mayor said there was no connection to a pipe bomb that exploded earlier on Saturday in a plastic trash can along the route of a charity road race in the New Jersey beach town of Seaside Park.