Rams celebrate return to Los Angeles with win
Rams celebrate return to Los Angeles after 37 year absence with 9-3 win over the Seattle Seahawks.
SHOWS: LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES (SEPTEMBER 18, 2016)(USA TODAY SPORTS IMAGES – BROADCASTER AND DIGITAL: MUST COURTESY ‘USA TODAY SPORTS IMAGES’)
LOS ANGELES RAMS (BLUE/YELLOW JERSEY) V SEATTLE SEAHAWKS (WHITE JERSEY) AT LOS ANGELES MEMORIAL COLISEUM
1. STILL PHOTO OF SOLD OUT LOS ANGELES MEMORIAL COLISEUM BEFORE START OF LOS ANGELES RAMS FIRST GAME IN CITY AFTER 37 YEAR ABSENCE
2. STILL PHOTO OF RAMS PLAYERS TAKING FIELD BEFORE GAME
3. STILL PHOTO OF FAN HOLDING UP SIGN THAT SAYS ‘LA RAMS WELCOME HOME!”
4. STILL PHOTO OF NBA PLAYER LEBRON JAMES IN STANDS
5. STILL PHOTO OF RAMS PLAYER ROBERT QUINN TACKLING SEAHAWKS QUARTERBACK RUSSELL WILSON, FORCING A FUMBLE
6. STILL PHOTO OF RAMS PLAYER LAMARCUS JOYNER (#22) CELEBRATING AFTER MAKING A DEFENSIVE PLAY
7. STILL PHOTO OF RAMS KICKER GREG ZUERLEIN (#4) WATCHING HIS FIELD GOAL KICK
8. STILL PHOTO OF RAMS QUARTERBACK CASE KEENUM CELEBRATING WITH FANS AFTER RAMS WIN 9-3
9. STILL PHOTO OF FORMER RAMS PLAYER ERIC DICKERSON (ON LEFT) TAKING PHOTO WITH FAN
STORY: Nostalgia was the dominant feeling for excited Rams fans on Sunday (September 18) as they watched their team play its first National Football League game at the iconic Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum in 37 years.
Win or lose against the visiting Seattle Seahawks, it hardly mattered for the Rams faithful on a gorgeous afternoon of unrelenting sunshine with temperatures peaking at 88 degrees Fahrenheit (31 degrees Celsius).
The fact that Los Angeles, relying on superb defense, ground out a stunning 9-3 victory over the Super Bowl champions of two seasons ago in front of a crowd of just over 90,000 came as a welcome bonus in their opening home game of the season.
Much more important for their fans was the sight of the Rams players, wearing ‘throwback’ royal blue and yellow uniforms, on their return to the City of Angels.
The Rams had not played a regular season game at the cavernous Coliseum since 1979, with the franchise moving to nearby Anaheim later that year before heading further afield after the 1994 season, to St. Louis, for the next two decades.
Now they are back in Los Angeles where they will play at the fabled Coliseum until construction of the nearby Inglewood Stadium is completed and the venue is opened for the 2019 season.
Despite a misfiring offense, the Rams beat Seattle for a third straight time thanks to three Greg Zuerlein field goals and brilliant defense, especially in the final quarter when their opponents pressed hard.
Seahawks running back Christine Michael fumbled after taking a pass from quarterback Russell Wilson and Rams linebacker Alec Ogletree recovered with just under a minute left to seal the win amid thunderous roars from the crowd