Ludhiana (Punjab), Aug 14 (ANI): Indian Air Force (IAF) played an integral role in the 1971 war against Pakistan and it was because of the war heroes that India emerged victorious. Param Vir Chakra recipient Fly Officer Nirmal Jit Singh Sekhon is one such war hero whose memories dissolved in time. He was awarded with Param Vir Chakra posthumously and became the first and only Air Force Personnel to receive this honour. Though leaders and ministers make many claims during National festival but the family of this hero is seldom remembered. Nirmal Singh’s sister-in-law said government should pay attention to the families of soldiers who sacrifice their lives for the nation. Singh’s statue has been erected outside the office of Ludhiana District Commissioner but nobody recognises him.
- Previous story Virat Kohli praises Shami, Umesh, says ‘it’s great to see them bowling with lot of heart’
- Remembering the unsung hero ahead of I-Day: Param Vir Chakra recipient Nirmal Jit Singh Sekhon
- Virat Kohli praises Shami, Umesh, says ‘it’s great to see them bowling with lot of heart’
- Fans celebrate as India clinches match, series in style
- We are looking for permanent solution to flood-related problems: UP CM
- Rescue, relief operations going on, will take all necessary steps: Nitish Kumar on Bihar floods