Iran wins gold in the men’s sitting volleyball on the final day of the Rio de Janeiro Paralympic games as the closing ceremony’s celebrations hold a brief stoppage in cheering to pay tribute to deceased Iranian cyclist Bahman Golbarnezhad
Rio Paralympics ends on sombre note after cyclist death
SHOWS: RIO DE JANEIRO, BRAZIL (SEPTEMBER 18, 2016) (IPC – SEE RESTRICTIONS)
1. VARIOUS OF CLOSING CEREMONY RIO 2016
2. PARALYMPIC FLAME BEING EXTINGUISHED
3. IRANIAN FLAG WITH BLACK RIBBON TO MARK DEATH OF CYCLIST BAHMAN GOLBARNEZHAD DURING GAMES
4. PICTURE OF BAHMAN GOLBARNEZHAD ON LARGE SCREEN DURING CLOSING CEREMONY AS CROWD REMEMBERS THE PARALYMPIAN WITH A MINUTE’S SILENCE
5. EDWARD PAES, MAYOR OF RIO DE JANEIRO, WITH PARALYMPIC FLAG ON STAGE HANDING FLAG OVER TO SIR PHILIP CRAVEN, PRESIDENT, INTERNATIONAL PARALYMPIC COMMITTEE
6. CRAVEN HANDING FLAG OVER TO YURIKO KOIKE, GOVERNOR OF TOKYO, WHO WILL HOST THE NEXT GAMES IN 2020
7. CROWD IN STADIUM
8. COPACABANA BEACH
9. WOMEN’S MARATHON T54
10. ZOU LIHONG (NO 190 IN RED) OF CHINA WINS WOMEN’S MARATHON T54 PIPPING AMERICAN TATYANA MCFADDEN (NO 906 IN BLUE) OVER THE LINE / BOTH WITH A TIME OF 1:38:44
11. JAPAN’S MIHOKO NISHIJIMA (NO 473) FALLING AND GETTING UP BUT FAILING TO FINISH WOMEN’S MARATHON T12 DESPITE COMING SO CLOSE TO THE END
12. BRAZIL’S EDNEUSA DE JESUS SANTOS DORTA (NO 101), COMING THIRD IN WOMEN’S MARATHON T12
13. SITTING VOLLEYBALL MEN’S FINAL IRAN (IN WHITE) TRIBUTE TO DECEASED CYCLIST BAHMAN GOLBARNEZHAD WITH A MINUTE’S SILENCE BEFORE IRAN’S MATCH AGAINST BOSNIA AND HERZEGOVINA (IN BLUE)
14. CLOSE OF FRAMED PICTURE OF BAHMAN GOLBARNEZHAD HELD BY AN IRANIAN PLAYER
15. IRAN BEAT BOSNIA AND HERZEGOVINA
16. VARIOUS OF IRAN CELEBRATING GOLD MEDAL WIN
17. EGYPT (IN WHITE) V BRAZIL (IN GREEN) IN BRONZE MEDAL MATCH / EGYPT WINNING GAME AND BRONZE MEDALS
18. EGYPTIAN TEAM CELEBRATING WIN
19. GOLD MEDAL MATCH IN WHEELCHAIR RUGBY FINAL AUSTRALIA (IN YELLOW) AGAINST USA (IN WHITE)
20. RYLEY BATT (AUS) SCORES WINNING GOAL
21. END OF GAME / AUSTRALIANS CELEBRATING
22. BRONZE MEDAL MATCH IN WHEELCHAIR RUGBY JAPAN SCORE AGAINST CANADA
23. JAPAN CELEBRATIONS AFTER GAME
STORY: The Paralympic games in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil came to an end on Sunday (September 18) with gold medals for China, Iran and Australia as the closing ceremony briefly broke the carnival atmosphere to hold a tribute to Iranian cyclist Bahman Golbarnezhad, who died on Saturday (September 17) after a fall in his race.
The Maracana saw the Paralympic flag handed from Rio mayor Edward Paes to Tokyo governor Yuriko Koike, where the next games will be held in 2020.
Earlier, in a dramatic women’s T54 marathon, China’s Zou Lihong pipped American Tatyana McFadden over the finish line in a photo finish to win gold in one hour 38 minutes and 44 seconds.
After a minute’s silence to honour the life of Golbarnezhad, the Iranian men’s sitting volleyball tournament defeated Bosnia and Herzegovina in the final.
The Iranians have dominated the event reaching the last eight finals and winning six golds in the process.
Egypt beat the United States in a close match for the bronze medal.
Meanwhile the wheelchair rugby gold went to Australia, who beat the United States in the gold medal match thanks to Ryley Batt scoring the winning try.
Japan won bronze in their game against Canada.
China topped the medal table at the games with 107 gold medals from a total of 239 overall, ahead of Britain in second place with 64 golds from 147 medals. Ukraine pipped the United States for third position in the table.
A total of 83 countries won a medal at the games.