Russia’s says drone footage shows an aid convoy attacked in Syria was accompanied by a militant truck carrying a heavy mortar gun. Rough cut (no reporter narration).
Russia denies Syria aid convoy attack
PLEASE NOTE: EDIT CONTAINS MATERIAL WHICH WAS ORIGINALLY 4:3
ROUGH CUT – NO REPORTER NARRATION
The Russian Defence Ministry said on Tuesday (September 20) that an aid convoy which came under attack in Syria had been accompanied by a militants’ pickup truck armed with a heavy mortar gun.
Russian news agencies cited a defence ministry official as saying the footage, taken by drones and uploaded onto the ministry’s social media page, showed “new details” of the incident which occurred on Monday (September 19).
The footage emerged as the United Nations rowed back from describing the attack on the aid convoy as air strikes, saying it did not have conclusive evidence about what had happened.
The U.N., Red Cross and United States had all described it as an air strike, implicitly pinning the blame on Russian or Syrian aircraft that fly in the area for breaking the ceasefire with a strike on a humanitarian target.
But Russia, which denied its aircraft or those of its Syrian government allies were involved, said on Tuesday it believed the convoy was not struck from the air at all but had caught fire because of some incident on the ground.
The attack on Monday evening prompted the U.N. to suspend all aid shipments into Syria and brought the latest peace efforts to the brink of collapse.