SHOWS: WORCESTER – WELLINGTON, SOUTH AFRICA (MARCH 20, 2015) (QUATTRO MEDIA – ACCESS ALL) 1. RIDERS AT RACE START 2. OVERALL RACE LEADERS CHRISTOPH SAUSER (SWITZERLAND – NO. 2-1) AND JAROSLAV
Sauser and Kulhavy win stage 5, extend overall Cape Epic lead
SHOWS: WORCESTER – WELLINGTON, SOUTH AFRICA (MARCH 20, 2015) (QUATTRO MEDIA – ACCESS ALL)
1. RIDERS AT RACE START
2. OVERALL RACE LEADERS CHRISTOPH SAUSER (SWITZERLAND – NO. 2-1) AND JAROSLAV KULHAVY (CZECH REPUBLIC – NO. 2-2) OF TEAM INVESTEC-SONGO-SPECIALIZED BEFORE RACE START
3. OVERALL WOMEN’S LEADERS ARIANE KLEINHANS (SWITZERLAND AND ANNIKA LANGVAD (DENMARK)
4. RACE START
5. PELOTON RACING WITH SUN RISING
7. ROURKE CROESER (SOUTH AFRICA – NO. 11-1) AND TRAVIS WALKER (SOUTH AFRICA – NO. 11-2) LEADING THE FIELD
8. LEADING GROUP
9. AERIAL OF CROESER AND WALKER IN THE LEAD, OPENING GAP
10. CROESER AND WALKER IN LEAD (2 SHOTS)
11. ALBAN LAKATA (1-2) AND KRISTIAN HYNEK (1-1) STOP WITH MECHANICAL AND SWAP WHEEL WITH TOPEAK ERGON BACK UP TEAM OF ROBERT MENNEN (GERMANY – 8-1) AND JEREMIAH BISHOP (USA – 8-2)
12. LAKATA AND HYNEK CONTINUE RACING
13. LEADING GROUP OF RIDERS INCLUDING SAUSER AND KULHAVY
14. AERIAL PELTON
15. SAUSER, KULHAVY, LAKATA AND HYNEK SUFFER MECHANICAL PROBLEM
16. LAKATA FIXING CHAIN
17. SAUSER AND KULHAVY
18. SAUSER AND KULHAVY WITH LEADING GROUP
19. LAKATA AND HYNEK CHASING BEHIND LEADERS
20. AERIAL OF SAUSER AND KULHAVY BREAKING AWAY OFF THE FRONT FOR THE LEAD
21. VARIOUS SAUSER AND KULHAVY LEADING
22. SAUSER AND KULHAVY WIN STAGE
23. STAGE WINNERS SAUSER AND KULHAVY ON PODIUM, WITH KARL PLATT (GERMANY) AND URS HUBER (SWITZERLAND) WHO FINISHED SECOND AND DARREN LILL (SOUTH AFRICA) AND WAYLON WOOLCOCK (SOUTH AFRICA) WHO TOOK THIRD PLACE
24. OVERALL RACE LEADERS SAUSER AND KULHAVY ON PODIUM
25. (SOUNDBITE) (English) OVERALL RACE LEADER CHRISTOPH SAUSER SAYING:
“Hope it doesn’t matter how much advantage we have or how much ahead we are of Topeak or Bulls, most important that we have two more normal rides and then we are in.”
26. OVERALL WOMEN’S LEADERS KLEINHANS AND LANGVAD DURING THE STAGE
27. KLEINHANS AND LANGVAD WINNING THE WOMEN’S STAGE
28. KLEINHANS AND LANGVAD ON THE PODIUM
STORY: Overall race leaders Christoph Sauser of Switzerland and Czech Republic’s Jaroslav Kulhavy won stage five of the Cape Epic on Friday (March 20), their fourth stage win of the 2015 race.
The Investec-Songo-Specialized combination now have an overall lead of more than 10 minutes.
The 121-kilometre route also included some fierce climbs and took them up the national monument that is Bain’s Kloof Pass and then on to the three-kilometre Full Monty climb in the Welvanpas trail network.
It was at the bottom of the Full Monty that Sauser and Kulhavy managed to shake off the last of the teams and establish a firm lead. By the time they crossed the finish line 15 kilometres later, they were almost a minute ahead of Germany’s Karl Platt and Swiss rider Urs Huber.
South Africans Darren Lill and Waylon Woolcock finished the stage in third place.
The Topeak Ergon team of Austria’s Alban Lakata and Kristian Hynek of Czech Republic, the second placed team in the overall standings, lost time due to mechanical problems. Lakata first punctured near the start and then twisted a chain when it fell off on a descent.
Hynek and Lakata retained their second place overall, but are 10 minutes and 51 seconds behind the leaders.
The women’s race continued to be dominated by Ariane Kleinhans of Switzerland and Denmark’s Annika Langvad, who extended their lead to around 50 minutes over their closest challengers.