Sam Allardyce apologises for his “lack of judgement” that led to his leaving of the England manager job, following a newspaper sting
“Silly” Allardyce says error of judgement led to shock exit
SHOWS: BOLTON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (SEPTEMBER 28, 2016) (ITN – SEE RESTRICTIONS ABOVE BEFORE USE)
1. FORMER ENGLAND MANAGER SAM ALLARDYCE WALKING OUT OF HIS HOUSE TO TALK TO MEDIA
2. (SOUNDBITE) (English) FORMER ENGLAND MANAGER, SAM ALLARDYCE, SAYING:
“Obviously I have got to do this before I go away but I think, on reflection, it was a silly thing to do. Just to let everybody know, I sort of helped out somebody I had known for 30 years and unfortunately it was an error in judgment on my behalf and I have paid the consequences. Entrapment has won on this occasion and I have to accept that. The agreement was done very amicably with the FA. I have apologized to those and all concerned in this unfortunate situation I have put myself in. I have a confidentiality agreement lads and so I took the time to talk to you on this matter but I can’t answer any more questions just now. I am going to go away and reflect on it.”
(REPORTER ASKING QUESTION): “Can you tell us what you are going to do now?”
“I am off abroad. Just to chill out and reflect and I would like to wish all the England lads, Gareth (Southgate) and the staff all the very best.”
(REPORTER ASKING QUESTION): “Is that your last job in football though?”
“Who knows. We will wait and see.”
3. ALLARDYCE GETTING INTO CAR
4. CAR DRIVING DOWN STREET
STORY: An emotional and apologetic Sam Allardyce said on Wednesday (September 28) an error of judgement had led to his shock exit as England manager following a newspaper sting.
The 61-year-old was compelled to leave on Tuesday (September 27) for seeking a lucrative sideline role while talking to undercover reporters from Britain’s Daily Telegraph.
The paper said it had hundreds of pages of transcripts from the meeting in which Allardyce was negotiating a deal worth 400,000 pounds ($520,840) to represent a Far East firm seeking advice on the transfer market.
Allardyce said it had been a “silly thing” to do but he had been trying to help out someone he had known for 30 years.
“Unfortunately it was an error in judgement on my behalf. I have paid the consequences,” a clearly emotional Allardyce told reporters outside his home in northern England.
“Entrapment has won on this occasion and I have to accept that. I’ve apologized to (the Football Association) and all concerned.”
Earlier he issued a statement in which he offered a “wholehearted apology” to the Football Association (FA) for embarrassing the governing body.
“It was a great honour for me to be appointed back in July and I am deeply disappointed at this outcome,” Allardyce, who replaced Roy Hodgson after England’s dismal Euro 2016 campaign.
The former centre half who built his managerial reputation by getting the best out of unfashionable or struggling clubs met FA chairman Greg Clarke and chief executive Martin Glenn and offered a “sincere and wholehearted apology” for his actions.
Allardyce won his only game in charge of England, a World Cup qualifier in Slovakia earlier this month, by 1-0. He will be replaced by under-21 coach Gareth Southgate for the next four matches as the FA searches for a successor.
He told reporters on Wednesday he could say no more about the sacking as he had a confidentiality agreement with the FA and was going abroad.
“I’m going to go away and reflect on it. I’d like to wish all the England lads, Gareth, and the staff all the very best,” he said.
When asked if this was his last soccer job, he replied: “Who knows. We’ll wait and see.”