Gurdaspur (Punjab), Oct 11 (ANI): Voting has begun for the by-election in the Gurdaspur Lok Sabha seat in Punjab. Nearly 15.22 lakh voters, who are eligible to cast their vote, will decide the fate of 11 candidates in the fray. Tight security arrangements have been made for the crucial by-election. There is a tough fight between Bharatiya Janata Party candidate Swarn Salaria, Congress’ Sunil Kumar Jakhar and Aam Aadmi Party’s retired Major General Suresh Kumar Khajuria. Considering Congress’ fresh win in the state assembly elections, the party is set to give a tough fight to the BJP. The AAP, on the other hand, could play a spoiler for both the parties being the main opposition party in the Punjab Assembly. The result of the by-poll elections will be announced on October 15. The Lok Sabha seat fell vacant in April after the veteran actor Vinod Khanna passed away due to cancer. Gurdaspur is the first parliamentary constituency in the country where all polling stations will have Voter Verifiable Paper Audit Trail (VVPAT) machines. The device gives the voter confirmation about his vote using an EVM.
- Next story Raipur man claims to predict correct blood groups with coconut
- Previous story A priest killed a folk singer Ahmed due to superstition in Rajasthan
- Ghaziabad building collapse: Strict action will be taken against those responsible, says VK Singh
- Ghaziabad building collapse: 1 dead, 7 rescued, informs IG Meerut (Range)
- Watch: Women protest by sitting on JCB machine during an anti-encroachment drive
- Nicole Maines to be television’s first transgender superhero
- CM Raman Singh announces Mukhyamantri Kanyadan Yojana